Hands-free can opener: What device can help me open cans without putting strain on my wrists?
What device can help me open cans without putting strain on my wrists?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate for your particular situation. Some technologies and devices may require an in-person assessment. Speak with your health care provider for additional information and support.
Arthritis can make meal preparation very challenging. If you require help opening cans, you may be interested in purchasing a hands-free can opener, which can be purchased at various retailers. Below are some direct links to examples of these devices, which range in price from $20 to $35 (CDN):
- One Touch Can Opener by BIOS Medical (at Staples Canada). To use this product, you simply place the device on top of the can, press the button and the can opens in seconds. This device costs about $35 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- The Smooth Soft Edge Electric Can Opener by Bangrui (at Amazon Canada). This product opens cans automatically with the press of a button. This device costs about $20 to $30 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Heavyweight Electric Can Opener by Hamilton Beach (at Amazon Canada). This product is a hands-free can opener that also features a bottle opener and knife sharpener. This product costs about $25 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Locking Can Opener by OXO Good Grips (at Amazon Canada) has an oversized turning knob that rotates smoothly, making it comfortable and easy to use. Furthermore, the magnetic lid-lifting mechanism helps to open cans while keeping fingers safe from sharp edges. This device is featured on ArthritisSupplies.com, a major U.S. retailer that sells goods specifically designed for people with arthritis, and costs about $25 (CDN), plus an additional shipping fees.
- The Easi-Twist Easy Grip Jar Opener by Evriholder (at Amazon Canada) is a simple-to-use tool for seniors or those experiencing arthritis pain when gripping or squeezing. This tool is designed to make opening jars easier and its patented design fits any size lid. This product costs about $12 (CDN), plus an additional shipping fees.
- Kichwit Arthritis Jar Opener(at Amazon Canada) is made of heavy stainless steel and has a solid hard plastic handle to help give you more leverage to open a jar. This product costs around $15 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Homelet Electric Jar Opener(at Amazon Canada) is an automatic jar opener. You simply need to press the button for three seconds, no need to hold the jar opener with your hand, and it will automatically open the jar. It requires two AA batteries. This product costs around $30 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.